Beginner’s Guide: How To Beat A Hangover

Water to help with hangover

Hi guys!!

SO YEAH, I fell off the wagon. I’ve been so busy this last month with end of the semester work that I’ve completely neglected PR. I’m sorry!! ONLY ONE MORE WEEK! Hallelujah!

Anyways, hangovers. We all get them. Some more than others.

I don’t get them unless I have WAY too much to drink. This isn’t very hard for me to do considering I’m a lightweight. And if I didn’t eat much the night before… girl, bye. I’m done. I can switch from cute to hot mess in a matter of minutes.

Let’s take this last Monday for example. On this girls night, I was all aboard on the Hot Mess Express. I mean, damn, it wasn’t cute.

Fruit juice to help with hangover

My first two mistakes that led me to 2017’s Worst Hangover:

1. I ate an extremely small dinner. Actually, it was more like a snack.

2. I mixed different types of alcohol.

These two are like the most obvious things EVER. But I like to live life on the edge. Just kidding, I’m just an idiot. What can I say? Learn from the mistakes I’ve made time and time again & refrain from pre-gaming with whiskey, arriving at your destination and drinking wine & finishing the night off with a couple shots of tequila.

Yeah… I don’t know what I was thinking either.

I’ll learn my lesson eventually. Until then, I’m just figuring out what does and doesn’t help with my hangovers.

When I woke up on Tuesday around 6 in the morning, I was still drunk, so the hangover hadn’t hit me yet. After my friend dropped me off, I crawled into bed with Dylan and he could still smell the booze on my breath. Fabulous.

Like the sweetheart he is, he got up and brought me a HUGE glass of water. Brownie points for my boo.

It wasn’t until I woke up around 10 that the hangover started to hit me. I threw up almost immediately after stepping into the bathroom. Fuck. My. Life.

I had to leave for class in 45 minutes. HA! That wasn’t going to happen.

I couldn’t keep anything down. I’d take a few sips of water and throw that up too. I cannot stand continuous nausea/vomiting. I would rather deal with a migraine all day.

Speaking of headaches and migraines…

I don’t recommend that you have coffee or take Advil or Tylenol.

The coffee will dehydrate you and you’ll most likely end up feeling even worse after you crash. Taking Advil can irritate your stomach and Tylenol can cause more damage to your liver.

The single best thing you can do: HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE.

You feel like shit for 3 reasons:

1. Alcohol’s toxins

2. You’re dehydrated

3. Your blood sugar’s low

The obvious fix is to keep drinking water. It’ll hydrate you and help flush out those toxins. Another option is Gatorade to help replenish electrolytes. You can try juice too, it’ll help with your blood sugar.

OR YOU CAN DO WHAT I DID: UberEATS + MR. JUICE

Unfortunately for me, Dylan had to work all day, so I had to take care of myself. Like I said, I couldn’t really keep anything down. But by 2, I WAS SO HUNGRY. I wasn’t ready for anything heavy, so I just ordered Mr. Juice and got a Watermelon Juice and Watermelon Italian Sorbet.

Oh, another thing: take a TUMS

I took one right before I met the Uber outside of my complex. It was a longshot, but I was going to try anyway. Tums has helped me with so many stomach issues.

Holy shit, it worked. I didn’t throw up any of my juice or my sorbet.

I had been texting one of my friends throughout the day and she’s freaking HILARIOUS, but every time she made me laugh, I’d feel sick again. But thanks to TUMS, I COULD LAUGH AGAIN !

Tums to help with hangover

The easiest thing to do: SLEEP.

After TUMS, hydration and a long ass nap, I felt okay enough to get my ass to my economics class ( it’s from 7PM to 10:10 UGH )

There are SO MANY claims that certain products will work for hangovers. A lot of these so-called remedies don’t really work or they’ll just mask the pain for a few hours.

SO LET’S RECAP:

Start by preventing a hangover in the first place. Drink 1 glass of water for every drink. Eat, seriously. It makes a world of difference. Don’t be dumb like me and mix your liquor.

But once you actually get the hangover…Honestly, the only two things that are guaranteed to help are drinking water and getting some sleep.

I’m interested in what helps YOU when you’re hungover! I love hearing other people’s tips and tricks!

I’m off to work on my essay ( JUST ONE MORE WEEK OF SCHOOL YESSSS !!! )

xo nicole

20 Comments

• Reply Lian May 30, 2017 at 8:14 am

These are all great tips to beat a hangover. I agree. Keeping hydrated is key when hungover. I always make a point to eat well before drinking and drink plenty of water after drinking any alcohol.

• Reply nicoleking May 30, 2017 at 11:47 am

Yup those are the best things to do!! xx nicole

• Reply Stacie @ Divine Lifestyle May 30, 2017 at 8:35 am

These are great tips for anyone. I rarely drink enough to have a hangover, but when I do, it’s AWFUL. I’m bookmarking this.

• Reply nicoleking May 30, 2017 at 11:48 am

If you’re ever super super nauseous or vomiting, definitely try the Tums thing!! So glad I learned this! xx nicole

• Reply Bill Sweeney May 30, 2017 at 9:06 am

Where was this when I was in college and hangovers were the norm? I could have used this big time.

• Reply nicoleking May 30, 2017 at 11:46 am

Hahaha I wish I would have discovered the Tum’s thing a longgg time ago!! Would’ve saved me a lot of torture! Thanks Ben! xx nicole

• Reply Natalie May 30, 2017 at 1:50 pm

Thankfully I haven’t been hungover too many times in my life haha. Sleep and water are always a good idea!

• Reply nicoleking May 30, 2017 at 6:33 pm

Those are the two best things Natalie! thanks for reading xx nicole

• Reply Joely Smith May 30, 2017 at 1:55 pm

Thankfully I do not get hangovers anymore lol but these are some solid tips! I LOVE that POM juice!

• Reply nicoleking May 30, 2017 at 6:32 pm

Me too,Joely! it’s soo yummy!! xx nicole

• Reply Mandee May 30, 2017 at 2:17 pm

I don’t drink much, but these tips are definitely new to me. I’m going to have to remember this if I do drink because given that I seldom drink, I’m buzzed after just one glass of wine! haha!

• Reply nicoleking May 30, 2017 at 6:31 pm

I’m in the same boat as you Mandee! I’m such a lightweight! But it’s ok with me, I don’t have to spend much at the bars! xx nicole

• Reply Marcie W. May 30, 2017 at 3:03 pm

I can definitely relate! My hangovers have always been awful, but these days nothing reveals my age more than the morning after a night filled with drinks. Thanks for the suggestions!

• Reply nicoleking May 30, 2017 at 6:30 pm

Hahaha I’ve heard that once or twice! Most important thing is to stay hydrated! xx nicole

• Reply CNA Photos May 30, 2017 at 3:52 pm

Great list on how to cure a hangover! Have never thought of the tums but will definitely be keeping that in mind for next time! Love that you can now order your hangover cure from UberEats!

• Reply nicoleking May 30, 2017 at 6:30 pm

Yeah UberEats saved me! I actually got it for free since it was my first time ordering and I used a promocode! I got lucky that day 🙂 xx nicole

• Reply Amanda May 30, 2017 at 4:27 pm

Ugh, waking up with a hangover is the absolute WORST. I am loving your hangover recovery tips. Typically greasy McDonald’s works for me!

• Reply nicoleking May 30, 2017 at 6:29 pm

Yeah that’s what I had the other day too! But when I’m SUPER hungover, I can’t do it : ( lol I try not to get to that point though. Just gotta eat & stay hydrated! xx nicole

• Reply Dogvills May 30, 2017 at 6:50 pm

I tried mixing several alcohols before and my hangover was terrible. These are great tips.

• Reply nicoleking May 30, 2017 at 9:20 pm

Yeah, never a good idea! Thank you!! Glad you enjoyed. xx nicole