Can you believe it’s already May?? This year’s almost half over! It’s insane how fast time flies! Pretty soon I’ll be applying for transfer ( for school ) … *crosses fingers*
So with May comes Cinco De Mayo festivities! And also some BOMB Mexican food.
Shout out to my Latina friends’ & their mamas for the yummy food they’ve brought into my life
*cough Leanna’s mom, Jeanette, I’m talkin’ about your mole!* <<< pronounced ( mole-ay )
Here in Southern California, Mexican food is EVERYWHERE! Literally everywhere. I must have 15 different restaurants within a 2-mile radius of my apartment. I’ll take a skinny margarita for happy hour any day 😉
But here’s the thing: it’s fucking HOT in the valley during the summertime. And I’m not into being all covered up when it’s 100 degrees outside. And for MY own standards for MYSELF, I need to look good. Let’s be honest with ourselves for a minute: Mexican food isn’t really summer-body-friendly.
Dylan and I love it though, so we (I, lol) had to find some way of enjoying these foods without feeling completely guilty. Basically I’ll just cut the fattiness & extra calories where I can.
I’m currently trying to have more of a plant-based diet ( Veganish ). I’m not one to completely restrict myself. Nothing good ever comes out of me completely limiting myself; I just end up binging or giving up all together. I like to have a balance!
Since Cinco De Mayo is comin’ up this Friday, I figured I’d share 2 of my current favorites:
skinny margaritas & vegan tacos
I started having skinny margaritas after I went out for drinks with my former roommate and noticed she always ordered her margaritas “fresh squeezed.” Which is basically fresh squeezed lime juice rather than mixer which I LOVE because mixers tend to be WAY too sweet and filled with nasty chemicals.
Let’s start with the skinny margarita so that you can sip on it while you’re cookin’ those tacos
This recipe is from Cookie + Kate
♡ Kosher salt or coarsely ground sea salt
♡ 2 ounces (1/4 cup) silver tequila
♡ 1 1/2 ounces (3 tablespoons/about 1 1/2 small limes) fresh lime juice
♡ 1 ounce (2 tablespoons/about 1/2 of a medium orange) fresh orange juice
♡ 1 teaspoon light agave nectar
♡ 1 lime wedge or round, for garnish
- First grind up ( or pour ) some salt onto a small plate ( I actually used pink salt instead ). Get a slice of lime and run the wet edge along the rim of HALF of your glass — half is so you don’t overdo it on the salt !
2. Next you’ll pour your juices, agave, tequila & then ice
A little tip I learned from TSC start with the least expensive ingredients first & move your way up to the most expensive
3. Add ice to your glass, shake & strain your cocktail over the ice & garnish with a lime wheel.
Cheers ! Take a sip for me.
♡ 1 package beefless ground beef ( got mine from trader joe’s )
♡ 1 packet taco seasoning
♡ 1/2 onion
♡ 1/2 head of lettuce
♡ 1 avocado
♡ fresh chopped cilantro
♡ whatever toppings you want on your tacozzzz
♡ 1 tsp oil
1. Chop up + prep your ingredients, so you have them ready when needed
2. Heat a LITTLE oil on fry pan & add beefless ground beef once ready & cook for about 4-5 minutes
3. Add 1/2 packet of taco seasoning (or whatever directions yours says)
4. Heat taco shells in oven ( I prefer to cook make my own taco shells, but sooo much oil 🙁 !! )
5. Add beef + ingredients in whatever order you prefer and bam !!
Super simple recipes, but so YUM ! I don’t have a lot of time to cook nowadays with work, school, the blog, LIFE… so I appreciate recipes like this.
And what’s so great about these tacos is you can’t even tell that it’s not real ground beef ! If you like sour cream and cheese, there are alternatives as well !!
SOOO tell me what you thought! Did you love it? Did you hate it? I want to know!
I’m off to class now !