Glass of milk

Cutting Dairy Out Of My Diet: Why I’m Doing It & Why You Should Too

cutting out dairy on swings

Hi guys!

Anybody go to Coachella this weekend? I was suffering bad from FOMO. I had to miss out this year. It’s okay though. I’ve been pet-sitting the sweetest pup! But he sure is a freaking handful.

But anyway,

I mentioned how I think I’m lactose intolerant in my last post, but didn’t really elaborate, so here I am!

Having insane amounts of dairy just does not work well with my stomach. I mean I can have some, just depends on how much. My pharmacist said that I may have been this way my whole life, but did not realize it because I’ve never consumed that much to begin with.

Glass of milk

I’ve never been a huge fan of milk.

Actually, it kind of disgusts me. It’s another animal’s breast milk… ew. To add, the dairy industry is just fucked. These poor animals are pregnant for majority of their lives & their young are ripped away from them to be made into veal. I will leave it at that because I have an EXTREMELY hard time talking about animal welfare because the lack of consideration humans have for another life is astonishing.

I’ll admit, I fucking LOVE sourdough toast + butter and a good bowl of cereal with milk. Both are not that great for you, but UGH. It’s a long time favorite. BUT IT’S 2017 GUYS, there are alternatives! If there’s ever been a time to cut out dairy, it would be now.

I am not a fan of definitively cutting things out of my diet, but I do think that there are some things that you should only have sometimes. Dairy is one of those things. If you’re not going to cut it out completely, you should definitely cut back.

cutting out dairy on the shore

THE  “POSITIVES” OF MILK

Moooo?? More like BOO!

The dairy industry tries realllyyy hard to talk about the benefits of dairy. *eye roll*

Calcium? Vitamin D? Protein?

There are PLETNY OF WAYS to get calcium WITHOUT MILK. The milk alternatives have a ton of calcium in them already AND there are a bajillion other foods with tons of calcium.

As far as Vitamin D goes, you can’t even get enough Vitamin D from the foods you eat. Get your ass up and go outside. Sunlight on your skin will provide you with all the Vitamin D you need.

Protein protein protein. People put WAY too much of an emphasis on protein. I’ll get more into that in another post, but don’t believe everything they tell you. Do yourself a favor and research how needed to consume your weight in grams of protein ( like if you are 100 pounds you need to have 100 grams of protein ) is fabricated bullshit. Anything that tells you that you need an insane amount of protein in your diet is BS !!!

THE TRUTH ABOUT MILK  ( WHY IT ACTUALLY SUCKS )

An argument I’m sure you’ve heard before is how milk is meant for the calf, not the human. We are not baby fucking cows, guys!!

The nutrients in cow’s milk may be good for the calf, but the hormones in milk can cause some of the following in humans:

• acne
  • infertility
  • disruption to the endocrine system (causing eczema and seasonal allergies )

And on top of that, the high amounts of trans fat can cause:

• increased cholesterol levels
  • obesity
  • heart disease

Cutting out dairy me on the beach

Now that I’ve cut majority of the dairy out of my diet, I just feel SO MUCH BETTER! My skin’s cleared up. I don’t feel bloated.

It is AH-MAZING how big of a difference it’s made.

Like always, I recommend you do your own research so you can formulate your own opinion on this.

If you’d like more information on the bad effects of an animal based diet, watch the documentary Forks Over Knives.

It’s on Netflix right now.

Okay loves, I’m off for now!

xo

Nicole

{  source } { source } { source } { source }

<?php echo do_shortcode ('
'); ?>

24 Comments

• Reply Ashley April 18, 2017 at 11:18 pm

I also cut out dairy years ago and it’s amazing what it does!! I am also opting out of giving my daughter cows milk… there’s no reason to! Great article 👌🏼

• Reply nicoleking April 18, 2017 at 11:38 pm

I agreeee!! My friend’s dad is a pediatrician and he highly recommends that people stay away from food made from animal products!

• Reply Lisa April 19, 2017 at 2:15 am

wow! I naturally stopped drinking milk because it just made me feel icky. But I love me some cheese. I’m definitely going to check out that documentary.

• Reply nicoleking April 20, 2017 at 2:23 am

Yeah Lisa you should definitely check it out! It’s very informative.
      I feel ya on the cheese, I love me some brie !

• Reply Tara April 19, 2017 at 3:01 am

Yes! I’ve cut it out of my diet plus gluten starting since the New Year. I’ve never felt better! My skin has been AMAZINGLY clear and my stomach issues have almost vanished entirely! yes yes yes!

• Reply nicoleking April 20, 2017 at 2:31 am

I’ve thought about trying to go gluten-free and see how it makes me feel but I loveeeeee so many foods with gluten in it and they don’t really make me feel sick ! I’ll do a 30-day trial one day

• Reply Elizabeth April 19, 2017 at 3:16 am

I totally feel you about Milk. I’ve slowly been trying to cut as much milk in my diet but it can be hard. I’m a sucker for milk with cereal, lattes, and cheese.

xo, Elizabeth // txelizabeth.com

• Reply nicoleking April 20, 2017 at 2:33 am

Totally understandable! Just do what feels best for you girl!

• Reply Joscelyn | Wife Mama Foodie April 19, 2017 at 6:31 am

I agree, I’m lactose intolerant too, but I think a lot if it has to do with the fact that our bodies are just not designed to process dairy. I used to love drinking milk when I was younger, but I tried some after not having it for years and it tasted very animal-y. It was so gross, lol! Can’t believe I used to drink it!

• Reply nicoleking April 20, 2017 at 2:34 am

Hey Joscelyn! Yeah I know it’s pretty gross!
      I’ve never been a fan of milk and didn’t start to like cheese until I was wayy older!
      So I guess it’s just been a little easier for me 🙂

• Reply Michelle at Time and Pence April 19, 2017 at 6:49 am

I’ve been thinking a lot about this lately and trying to use Soya more!

• Reply nicoleking April 20, 2017 at 2:22 am

Hi Michelle! Like soy milk?? I’ve been on the hunt for some alternatives for things like cheese but haven’t found anything I love yet! Hopefully I will one day

• Reply Amanda Appiagyei April 19, 2017 at 11:25 am

We don’t have much dairy in our family as my husband is vegan and my two sons are intolerant. I am too actually but I just love cheese and chocolate, so I cut out most of it. I feel so sick if I have large amounts of it now. Great post.

• Reply nicoleking April 20, 2017 at 2:19 am

Thanks Amanda! I feel you on the feeling sick part!!
      You just need to have a balance 🙂 I know it’s hard to completely cut stuff out!

• Reply Mark Killion April 19, 2017 at 12:16 pm

Just take a look on that milk label and you will know if you want it or not. Nothing wrong with milk. It is the stuff they feed the cow that is bad. Everything from hormones to GMO grain. Walmart sells milk with no GMO no rBST. (GMO are safe) ! yep, right. Anything that has been modified is not safe as your body attacks it as a foreign matter. GMO grains are no longer natural. It is not the grain really but your body does not recognize it as a good thing. Cows eat it and then you drink it.
    Also do not be fooled by the label on milk. It is a trick by the FDA paid off panderers to industry. There is a disclaimer mandated by law on all milk. It is there to fool you into thinking the milk is safe. Odd that the FDA does not require them to state that the milk has GMO or rBST in it. It reads : According to the FDA (who has done no studies on this ) no significant difference has been shown between milk derived from rBST treated and non rBST treated cows.

• Reply nicoleking April 20, 2017 at 2:17 am

Hey Mark! That’s some pretty interesting information! I still don’t think milk is good for us… even if it was from the purest cow. But it’s good for baby cows!

• Reply ellie April 19, 2017 at 2:20 pm

such a great post! I found that my gut does not handle milk last year and I get really sick when I try to drink it. thankfully I found lactose-free milk so I can have my lattes and have them taste normal because I hate Soy and almond milk! Milk is just not meant for humans anyway. It’s the milk a mother cow produces to turn a 200lb calf in to a 900lb cow! Great post!

Ellie

• Reply nicoleking April 20, 2017 at 2:14 am

Thank you Ellie! Yummmm what kinda milk do you use? I’ve tried a ton ! My current favorite is coconut hemp milk with some cinnamon!

• Reply Megan Anne April 19, 2017 at 2:45 pm

I know from experience, that coming I’ll melt can really help your weight-loss journey if you’re on that. If you’re trying to lose weight one of the biggest tip sake of people is cutting out dairy because most bodies can actually process it. I know from personal experience, that I never liked milk and so once I was old enough to really realize that I completely stop drinking it.

• Reply nicoleking April 20, 2017 at 2:13 am

Hi Megan! I’m not on a weight loss journey, just trying to feel the best I can 🙂
      I agree that milk’s not very yummy!

• Reply Tegan April 20, 2017 at 10:50 am

I agree! I have never been a fan of milk, I remember my mum would have to force me to drink it as a kid and I hated every single bit of it. I like drinking my coffee black or having soy in it if I am going out to get one. I also like having So Good Soy Milk by Sanitarium in my cereal – it doesn’t have a strong taste of soy which is a plus for me.

• Reply nicoleking April 21, 2017 at 5:56 am

Hey Tegan! I like to put almond milk + coconut milk in mine! Yum

• Reply Amanda | Maple Alps April 20, 2017 at 11:22 am

I’ve cut dairy out of my diet for quite some time now, and I’ve never looked back! I’m not as tired after eating anymore, and I just feel overall more energized and better about myself! It’s amazing the effect dairy has on our bodies and lives!

• Reply nicoleking April 21, 2017 at 5:57 am

Omg so true! Glad you made that choice xoxo